Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Usual Quarter Life Crisis - The College Years

I've been stretched to the limits working on several projects this week: a couple of meetings, preparing my arguments for the libel cases we're discussing in my media law class, setting up panels for our journalism school, who's coming to Miami with us for spring break...

oh yeah, and job applications.

What was once a process I convinced myself I could start in April (because really all media organizations who put out job applications want you to start right away, right?) got the best of my curiosity and I started to look around.

I couldn't be more depressed after just a couple of days of searching through job list after job list. What began as a clam clicking, turned into a frantic pounding of the mouse and keyboard as I quickly polished my resume again and again and posted it like it's hot.

And I am limiting myself to nothing, only to the D.C. area for now. Just a sampling of what I've applied for: Executive Assistant for Discovery Channel, Brand Marketing Research Assistant for Travel Channel, Art-Media Designer for the U.S. Army, Producer at C-SPAN, and every job the AP had to offer in D.C.

So far, all I've heard back from is Discovery Channel. I didn't get the executive assistant job.

I'm gearing up for when I'm going to have the fated (and dreaded) conversation with my boss at ABC where I will calmly approach her on a lazy Friday afternoon and say "is there something for me here?"

Other advice I've gotten:

- One of my professors: Take the LSAT and see what happens. The scores are good for 5 years.

- Two of my best friends: We're moving to South Korea to teach English. Come with us!

- UMD's Spokesman for President Mote's office: I have a friend at Telemundo, but you should also consider the Peace Corps.

Bottom line: When I came to college, I had the clearest of clear ideas of what I wanted to do with my life. I was going to be the next Katie Couric, naturally. Now, as a graduating senior being pushed out the door, I'm more clueless than ever as to what I want to do. For someone who needs structure, order and plans in her life, I completely picked the wrong major to satisfy my personality comfort zone. But the journalism field does satisfy my brain. I feel in love with it because I knew I could learn every detail about something new every day and it sounded exciting to me.

My dream job would let me live and be based in the D.C. area and allow me to travel to exotic places all over the U.S. and the world to report, shoot, edit and produce material on culture, politics, food and people. I need a job that is above and beyond me and my upbringing on the Eastern Shore (aka the small town market doesn't really appeal to me anymore) and a job that's going to constantly stimulate my brain on a daily basis.

I heard that Anthony Bourdain on Travel Channel is looking for a travel mate in a worldwide contest to pick the best video resume.

Sigh...and the search goes on.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hey, it might not be South Korea! You never know... And you'll earn more money hanging out with us than you will slaving away using that silly journalism degree! :) xo

Alex said...

welcome to post-undergrad life... times like this I listen to Billy Joel "Vienna", let me know if that works for you...

Lauren Effron said...

I've been listening to that song since I started looking at colleges hahaha

oh, how depressing