Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Missing Miami

So let's be honest, this is really a post to attempt posting photos into my blog, and okay, to brag about my fabulous (and last) spring break last week in South Beach, Florida.

Two of my good friends, my boyfriend and I loaded up my car and headed out on the afternoon of Saturday, March 15th to make the I-95 drive from Washington, D.C. to Miami. A total of 16 hours (18 with stops), three tanks of gas, and multiple bags of chips and cookies in the car each way. We figured paying for gas for one car was still a lot cheaper than paying for 4 plane tickets and it was certainly a crazy adventure with stops at South of the Border (an awesome pit-stop on the N.C./S.C. border) and a 24-hour Waffle House at 3 am.


This is a picture of us on the home stretch of the drive coming into Florida. It didn't hit us how big of a state Florida actually is because we reached Jacksonville in 11 hours and thought, "oh great! This has been cake!" Little did we know we still had 6.5 hours ahead of us to get to Miami (the clock on the dash in this photo reads 5:30 am). The nice thing about the dash on my car - it also tells you the outside temperature. It was fun watching it jump from 44 degrees when we left D.C. at 2:30 pm Saturday, to 76 degree when we arrived in Miami at 10 am on Sunday.


As we rolled into the Sunshine State on Sunday, we were greeted with sunny skies and warm temperatures which stayed with us through most of the week. We found our way through the city of South Beach fairly easily, as it's set up in a grid fashion - much like a small Manhattan. This is a picture of the house apartment rented. It worked out so well for the four of us. Two bedrooms, huge bathroom, kitchen, balcony, just beautiful. The little place was nestled back away from the nightlife so nights and mornings were quiet for the most part, except for the occasional motorcycle.

We got so lucky with the location too because we were one block from the main club and restaurant strips, three blocks from the beach, and four blocks from the major shopping street, Lincoln Ave. (much to the boys dismay). I know I'm starting to sound like an advertisement for the rental agency, but it really was a nice little sanctuary.



We spent our days there mostly laying around on the beach and going out at night for dinner and then sometimes for drinks. We were pretty boring as far as typical spring breakers go. Dao spent a lot of time making phone calls for planning SGA's spring BBQ, Nick searched for jobs on the laptop, Tad finished a book for our Middle Eastern Politics class and I caught up on a semester's worth of sleep after getting used to 4-5 hours a night. It was glorious.



Admittedly, we did manage to have a little fun here and there but nothing too scandalous. Dao is a huge England soccer fan (futbol if you need me to "politically" correct) and one of the Irish pubs on Washington Ave. hosted the Chelsea/Tottenham and Manchester United/Bolton games on their big screens. Guinness in hand, we cheered alongside of a packed bar full of Europeans. It was hilarious.


We naturally went out for St. Patrick's Day but spent most of the night trying to find a place that offered cover under $20. I did manage to try out my first Irish car bomb (which I'm not going to post pictures of haha) . We also tried out the club Dream. I met up with some other Maryland friends on Thursday night for our last night out in Miami at Dream. Exactly how my friend Kathy managed to score us VIP access that night, I still don't entirely know, but it looks like she might bar tend for them over the summer.


A fantastic vacation that lasted way too short, as they all do. It broke my heart to drive back and watch the outside temp. on the dash drop slowly back to 44 degrees and to wipe sleet off the windshield. It was nice to be suspended from reality for a while, but now it's back to the daily grind. I still have two midterms to wrap up after all, but I am certainly starting to reconsider turning down that assignment desk job in West Palm Beach.

No comments: