Thursday, July 31, 2008

Anyone Want The Rest of My Diet Bars? Bleck.


Now before you jump all over me saying, "What do you mean, Leffers?" pause a moment, keep reading and let me tell you that it's not about a weight loss thing. I only just recently started eating them as a bridge to get me from breakfast to lunch -- which is usually a six-hour span for me on work days.

My typical work morning is getting up at 7:15 a.m., finish getting ready by 7:50, make my breakfast and pack my lunch by 8 a.m., be in my car on my way to work by 8:15. Get to work by 8:45 a.m. and have a cup of coffee around 9:15. Time I start feeling hungry again? 9:30 a.m..

You see, I suffer from hunger headaches, severe ones that will pound on my brain all day if I don't feed myself within 30 minutes of my starting to feel hungry. So I have to eat when I'm hungry if I want to function. My previous solution? Snack on pretzels, fruit cups, yogurt, half of my turkey sandwich when I started feeling hungry again and try to eat a breakfast of eggs and oatmeal in the mornings.

Why that didn't work - the snacks, I suppose, didn't have enough calories to make my stomach feel satisfied; the breakfast, well, making eggs is time consuming and it only floated me along until about 10:30 a.m., so now it's an english muffin with peanut butter. I still end up eating almost my whole lunch before lunch time.

So what did I think I needed? Something that would hold me until lunch time and wouldn't force me to pig out all morning. Hmmm... and the diet bar idea was born.

Maybe it was just the selection from my local Giant that was lacking, but all of the four brands they had for sale were full of sugar and sounded very unhealthy: Chocolate, Chocolate Chunk, Chocolate and Peanut Butter, Caramel and Peanut Butter, Cookies and Cream.

I don't want sugar. It's bad enough I put sugar in my Hazelnut coffee. I wanted to feel healthy and good, not sinful and blahhhh. Sinful snacking does not taste good before noon. Where was the fruit? I gave it a try anyway.

Actual taste flavor - chocolate flavored chalky cardboard.

Actual taste satisfaction - I now crave a Snickers and a big bag of pretzels to get the taste out of my mouth. Then I want some green grapes and a yogurt so I can feel healthy again.

Actual conclusion - I feel full, sick from all the sugar and I'm probably going to gain weight if I keep eating these.

Maybe I'm passing judgement too quickly, after all I've only tried two kinds in the past month: South Beach Diet Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch and Slim Fast (guaranteed to curb your metabolism up to 4 hours!!!) Chocolate granola bar.

The results: the SBD ones helped for about two hours so it was an easy way to edge off hunger but still got the headache. Slim Fast, well I just tried that today for the first time so we'll find out if it keeps me going all the way to 2 p.m., but I just feel gross and after a half hour in, starting to feel slight heart palpitations. By 1 p.m., I'm hungry again.

New plan - just eat grapes until I burst?

8 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm usually not one to give you food advice (I leave that to my roomie) but I think you should try these kinds of bars.
They are..."Fiber One chewy bars" (oats and chocolate flavor) You're probably thinking..."Fiber, Sam- really?"
But trust me on this...they are delish! I totally wolf it down at 1ish and it keeps me going till around 5ish when I can eat my really late lunch/early bird dinner.
They only have 10grams of sugar in a 6oz bar and 140 calories. (and 35% of yoru daily fiber...you're bowels will thank me later)
Do try them- I promise you'll be happy! :)
And yes, they taste like real chocolate- not that cardboard stuff. :)

Erin said...

Those are both delicious--when I interned during the semester and was pressed for time, I ate those for lunch all the time.

That being said, I know a thing or two about those hunger headaches. They come from not having enough protein in your diet, at least according to my doctor.

If you can, pick up some protein shakes (SlimFast shakes work) and use those as a snack. They are surprisingly filling, very tasty and will tide you over between meals. :)

Erin said...

Oh yea, it could also be the coffee giving you the headaches and heart palpitations. That's when I went to the doctor who immediately basically laughed at me when I told her what I ate every day--a banana for breakfast, then coffee, and then nothing until later in the afternoon.

Lauren Effron said...

thanks girls! I'll give that a try. This stuff is gross and expensive!!!

Jess said...

I'll throw in my two cents here too because I have the same problem. So I either eat a Fiber One Granola Bar (I'm obsessed with the PB flavor) or a cup of cottage cheese (they make ones with fiber in the store that help keep you full longer) Either of those typically gets me through to lunch time.

Lauren Effron said...

fndjkbvdfbguierb I can't stand the thought of eating a whole cup of cottage cheese. No offense Jess but it grosses me out haha

Tad said...

cottage cheese is delicious!

Tad said...

p.s. BLECK!