Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oh, I'm Totally Diggin' The Dancing Queen

My friend Erin, who I absolutely adore, is leaving me for a year-long adventure in South Korea and taking our other friend Melissa (who I also happen to absolutely adore) with her. They're leaving me at the end of August, and if two of your best friends were moving to the opposite end of the globe in six weeks, you would probably do whatever they wanted to do. Right? Yes, you would.

For me, that meant going to see Mamma Mia! last Friday.

Having seen the play in New York a few years ago and was left disappointed, I was less than thrilled about seeing the movie, but Erin was dying to see it and so, finding my time limited with her, I went.

Dragging my feet to the ticket exchange, I watched teenagers camping out outside of the Silver Spring theatre starting at 7 p.m., waiting for the 10 o'clock showing of The Dark Knight - a movie I'm dying to see - and sighed as I paid $10.42 for Mamma Mia.

As soon as the lights went down, and a silhouette of a girl with long blonde hair started singing "I Have A Dream" as she stared out over the sea from a Grecian beach, I was eating my words (and thoughts).

I got SO into it and was struck with bolts of emotion: Shocked at how well Meryl Streep could sing (and dance for that matter), cackled at how awful Pierce Brosnan's singing was and how he tried to make up for it with dramatic facial expressions, swooned over both him and Colin Firth as Erin told me it wouldn't be fair to have both of them, calculated how to do the Greek isles on a budget, made careful note of the beautiful frilly dresses ... it was the most giggly, girly fun I've had at the movies in a very long time.

Don't get me wrong. There were definitely times where I couldn't roll my eyes enough at the huge masses of girls skipping along together or the poor townspeople popping their heads up over the wall to sing - especially when some of the dudes looked like they had been in a couple of knife fights.

Worst of all - by the end of it I was singing along and broke down this morning and put the play's soundtrack on my ipod so I could listen to it on my way into work this morning. I'm so behind on the news, including Sen. John Edwards getting caught with his mistress and love child!

Below is the music video for "Gimmie! Gimmie! Gimmie!" starring Amanda Seyfried (Sophie from the movie) - who, by the way, was the dumb blonde Plastic in Mean Girls who used her boobs to tell if it was going to rain, "It's like I have ESPN or something" - anyway, it's been stuck in my head all morning so here it is for you to enjoy - digitally and lyrically remastered.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Woah, I did NOT know there was a music video. Hmmm...

BTW I saw The Dark Knight last night and I think I'm the only person who wasn't totally blown away. It's super long and, although entertaining, kind of dumb. Heath Ledger is great though! I guess I'm just not the target audience for these movies haha--give me Mamma Mia anyday!

<3

Lauren Effron said...

I had heard that from some other people thought too... that it was entertaining but too long and the polt wasn't all that solid. Hmmm...

Jess said...

Here's another Amanda Seyfried fact...she went to high school five minutes from where I did. True fact. She's an Allentown girl born and raised.

And Batman was amazing. It was long, but I left the whole philosophical deepness to it. There was so much more to it than just Batman fighting bad guys.

Lauren Effron said...

I saw she was from Allentown on IMDB!! I meant to say something to you about it. She's only a year iolder than us, did you know her?