Monday, October 20, 2008

I Crave Sugar After I Workout

I met my friend Ruth in Bethesda yesterday and when she came bounding out of her building in her cute walking outfit, we were off. We walked from Bethesda to the National Zoo in Woodley Park - around six miles.

Feeling really good and working up a sweat, we met up with two of Ruth's friends and sat down at the zoo cafe for lunch. Afterwards, we walked around the zoo - a place I hadn't been since the first grade.

One of the girls with us, Michelle, had worked in Africa and at a zoo in Florida she had a lot to teach us, which was realy fun. She told us how she raised a baby hippo and knew all sort of hippo facts - like how they'll charge you at 35 mph in the water if you scare them. Of course, we saw the pandas. Estimated walking distance - 7 miles.



After that, the four of us walked to Cleveland Park and cheated a bit by metroing back to Bethesda. Bethesda had shut down their downtown for the Bethesda Row Arts Festival so we did a very adorable Sunday thing and went scrolling through the artisan booths. It my heart swell to see one local photographer's booth full of photos from markets in Aux-de-Provence, Nice, Aveyron and other small French villages that I miss so much (I spent two weeks touring Paris and Southern France the summer before college, plus I'm a huge sucker for food photos).

It shocks me how artists can sell prints of their work - not originals - for $200+, but then again I'm not an artist. As you can imagine, I was talked out of buying the prints - gotta pay the bills, the girls reminded me. Estimated walking distance - 8.8 miles.

(not actual photo I almost bought, but you get the idea.)

After finally getting home around 5:30 p.m., to exhausted and wind burnt to cook anything, I changed into sweats and caved into pulling the cheesecake sampler out of the freezer. And then leftover ravoli with meat sauce. And then a bowl of ice cream. And then some pretzels. I hope after all that and painfully sore calves, I only set myself back 2-3 miles at most.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Did you walk straight down Beach Drive? That's the way I would bike to the zoo from my house! <3

Jess said...

Sounds like a super fun (and yummy!) day!

Lauren Effron said...

Erin - you'd have to ask ruth, she was leading the way! Beach dRive does sound sort of familiar...

Also, I want to live in Van Ness/Cleveland Park SO badly now!

Jess - It was fun! I'm pretty proud of myself for making it haha. I need to do it more often to get back in shape for snowboard season!