Sunday, October 5, 2008

Poor Traveler's Big Vacation

Two of my best friends, Erin and Melissa, have begun the next chapter in their lives - teaching english in South Korea. I couldn't be more happy for and jealous of them.

Their blogs are now filled with colorful pictures and stories of food markets, incredible architecture and their first hilarious impressions of the schools they'll be teaching in. As I scroll through Insadong, I can't help but remember a time when they asked me to go with them. At the time, I thought they were crazy. It seemed like such a close your eyes and spin the globe-type idea. Plus, the thought of moving half way around the world away from my niche terrified me. Now it excites me. Crap.

I'm comfortable in my little niche and completed the "go to school. get a job. get a stable living environment" plan in perfect succession. Even moved in with the boyfriend and LOVE my job, which is a rare find right out of school. But it's almost boring you to tears, no?

Yes, I'm pretty settled, but seeing Erin and Melissa's adventures unfold pulls at my restless, wide side that wishes to dive into the new, different and unknown. I'm determined to fullfill these cravings by visiting them, hopefully in January (work willing) so Tad can come too over winter break. There's just one obvious problem. Flying to the other side of the world is hella-expensive.

Cheapest flights I've found range (including taxes+fees) $1125-$5000+ and that's booking four months in advance! And yet, a roundtrip nonstop flight plus three nights hotel stay only costs $404 in Nassau? Not fair!

If any of you out in cyber space have tips for finding something cheaper, please share your wisdom. Other wise, my big vacation will be buying us a new couch.

5 comments:

Erin said...

I love you and wish you were here.

<3

weisskies said...

Aw, I second what Erin said.

Jess said...

I'm jealous of them too...and obsessed with reading their blogs to live vicariously through them

Lauren Effron said...

yeah, doesn't it make your eye twitch a little?

Tad said...

yay! new couch!