Saturday, November 22, 2008

Playing Catch-Up

After being the writing fiend that I was for a while, I'm a little disappointed in myself for taking over a week to get back into it. It's been busy, so I'll just quickly play catch-up with some highlights...

Thursday 11/13: Bravo TV's Tim Gunn from "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style" and the famed "Project Runway" came to campus as part of the ODK lecture series. His lecture: Transitioning Your Style. Tad was gracious enough to not only score us free tickets, but also sit with me through what was certain to be a very girly lecture.

Gunn, who is a D.C. native, said of himself, "I am not a fashion designer, more like a fashion therapist," and talked about how he had spent almost 30 years in academia before "retiring" and jumping on with Bravo.

To thunderous applause - the Grand Ballroom was sold out so there had to be at least 600 people there - he took our questions. By far the best answer he gave was to the first question:

Girl: "Sometimes I find it hard to dress in cute clothes because I'm working on my masters in psychology and my whole department is men."
Gunn: "Why do you feel that way?"
Girl: "Because I'm afraid they won't take me seriously if I wear something girly."
Gunn: "If they say anything to you, I would just bitch slap them!"

It was an awesome way to open up the show and Gunn said he was shocked at the welcoming reception he received. I'm sure he didn't expect to get mobbed at the end as he tried to walk out either...

but I can't really comment negatively on that madness:

(Lauren, Make it work. Tim Gunn XX)

Friday/Saturday 11/14-15: Pretty boring. Friday, I crashed the ODK happy hour at AppleBee's but it was storming so we stayed in after that. My parents brought us a rug for our hallway on Saturday...

Before sitting through a tornado/thunderstorm at the Maryland/UNC game. Real Terps fan bleed red, they say.

Sunday 11/16: Took my 3 p.m. on Sunday photo...

Then Tad and I went to the Redskins/Cowboys game - my birthday/Christmas gift to him and the first professional football game for both of us.

Even with my little football awareness, I knew this was a big game because obviously we were playing Dallas, but also it was the first time Clinton Portis had been back in for a while because of a knee injury.

Finding ourselves surrounded by mostly rude Dallas fans, Tad and I screamed, stomped, jumped, and clapped our way through the game. We had awesome seats, if I do say so myself.

I had to hand it to Tad. Usually when the Redskins lose, I have to leave the room and let him cool off alone for a few hours, but when it got down to the last minute and a half, Dallas pulled ahead and then got that first down, he turned to me smiling and said, "Thank you for this, I had a great time!"

Monday 11/17: Our head video producer James Williams and I went out to the farms at UMD to interview Dr. Zimmermann of Animal Sciences about turkeys.

The problem was, we were looking for more of a general "Hey! This is why turkeys are awesome animals!" interview, but Dr. Z specialized in turkey reproduction so the entire interview was an awkward lecture on turkey sex. James tried to slip in the word "wiener" to sort of liven it up, but there's no breaking a professor's gait once he gets into lecturing mode. Needless to say, I know way more about how turkeys reproduce than I ever wanted to and I have to give James and I both credit for being able to keep it together.

We did find out from Dr. Z why you don't see turkey eggs in the grocery store for a piece Kasey-Dee, another video producer on our team, was working on. Here's your answer...


Bright spot of that interview: I FINALLY got to see Maryland's "holy" cow. All this time living on campus and I hadn't seen her, nor did I know that all Maryland students are allowed to come to the barns to see the animals whenever they want. Oh well.

Tuesday 11/18: James and I headed out to Good Fortune Farm, a free range poultry farm in Brandywine, Md. where they have, you guessed it, TURKEYS. And they are HILARIOUS! (see some of the footage in the above video)

Did you know turkeys will all gobble at the same time when you talk? Imagine trying to interview the farmer with 25 turkeys in the background going off all at once. James and I could not keep it together. At one point, the farmer said, "I guess if you're around them a lot you get used to it and it's not funny." He was a great interview though. You'll see when I post our Top 5 Reasons Turkeys Kick Ass (working title)next week.

We had quite an emotional shift after that because we when got back, we had to attend a mandatory "All Hands on Deck" department meeting, where they put us in a room and basically said, "if you're here then you still have your job." Lots of people company-wide got fired that day without notice and I felt sick to my stomach. And lucky.

Wednesday 11/19: The real flu hits me and I had to leave work early. Not bird flu, just the aches, exhaustion, chills, etc. Tad could tell I wasn't feeling well because I was reading a food column in Women's Health and said, "It says here kale is good for your fish. I mean brain."

I think it was from being out in the cold for the past three days in a row, and possibly the stress of thinking I was getting the ax.

Thursday: 11/20: Came in, but wasn't feeling any better so I left work early again. Tad kept telling me to just take a sick day, but I didn't feel I could do that in good conscience when I had a job I could take a day off from. I did go to bed at 7pm that night though.

Friday 11/21: Feeling 100% better. It was a good thing too because it was a crazy day at work. Discovery had aired this show called, "JFK: Inside the Target Car" over the previous weekend and to promote it, my team was asked to make mini webisodes for the Web site. The show was about some experts who recreated the JFK assassination using new technology and basically concluded that Oswald worked alone, that no way was there a shooter on the grassy knoll, judging from JFK's wounds. BIG score for us.

When we were given content to make the webisodes, we were given footage of a "missed 3rd shot." It was a shot fired from the fake grassy knoll but the sharpshooter missed slighty to the right. It set the experts back because the wound in the JFK dummy from that shot looked similar to his real wounds. Meaning, the grassy knoll can't be 100% ruled out after all.

Problem - the "Target Car" show team cut out this scene in its final production and it wasn't included in the show when it aired.

Result - Massive public outrage - I'm not exaggerating - people saying that Discovery was in on the JFK conspiracy, that we work for the government, that we're holding the truth back, etc. etc.

So we got the word from our boss's boss's boss and scrambled to put this together for the site. WARNING: Even though they use dummies, it's graphic.


Other exciting things that happened: I had an awesome "Quote of the Work Day"
NYEffie831: when i lick on your blog i get an error
NYEffie831: *CLICK

And I got Goggle themes! (I chose pebbles. I find it calming.)

Today, Saturday 11/22: I'm up early because Tad headed out to be a part of ODK's "Walk for the Homeless" team and Sam Laz spent the night so she could cover a Thanksgiving parade in the area for News Channel 8, so I got up to see them both off. That's been my life up until now.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Mine is pebbles too. Creeeeepy.

Let's chat soon, please. I miss you.

Can't wait to see your photo tomorrow. Off to bed! xo

Brandon said...

I am so glad you posted, I was starting to get the withdrawal shakes

Tad said...

i enjoy that you took a picture of the rug in the hallway. just for this blog.