Friday, December 5, 2008

New Shoes

I'm wearing new shoes today. They're black, dressy-type pumps with some patten leather accents, sort of antique looking. I feel in love with them when i put them on because they make my feet look slender and feminine.

Side note - I'm a size 8, which is close to the national average for women, but one of the maintenance guys at work said, "Damn. You got some big ass feet!" when I walked by in tennis shoes the other day, so I've been a little more aware of my feet than usual.

As cute as my new shoes are, they almost broke my neck.

I was strutting towards the coffee pot at work this morning, when suddenly I was doing a half pirouette and managed to catch myself before completely busting my ass on the shiny linoleum floor.

Another female employee who had just come in stopped and asked, "Uhh... are you... are you okay?"

"Yes, yes, thanks, I'm fine," I breathed as I brushed my hair out of my face with my coffee mug and steadied myself, "New shoes."

"Ahhhh yes," the girl replied, and walked away, as an apparent mutual certain-almost-death-by-new-shoes understanding passed between us.

What is it about new shoes that make them impossible to walk proudly across indoor flooring? Even Josh Lyman took a spill in The West Wing when he wore new loafers from his mother, so it happens to the best of us, but really these things should come with a warning label.

No comments: