Sunday, January 11, 2009

How to waste time and money: DIY dye your sweater

I bought this comfy shawl-type sweater at Target a few months ago for an awesome Target price. I wore it a couple times and then recently, while flipping through an Anthropologie magazine, I found one that looked exactly like it being sold for much more than the Target price.

I was thoroughly pleased with myself for having an Anthropologie look for a Target price, but then I noticed the Anthropologie model was wearing it in silver. The one I had was tan and I thought the silver one looked much prettier. That's where I got into trouble.

When I was home this weekend, I spent most of my Saturday with my little sister and asked her to go on a mission with me to find silver clothing dye. We went to a Walmart, a Target and two craft stores before finding the last box of dye that was the closest thing to silver - pearl grey - at JoAnn Fabrics.

I bought it was $2.48 and took it home. My mom told me it wouldn't work but I was determined so she set me up with a bucket of hot water and a brick to hold the sweater in the dyed water.

Here's what the sweater looked like going into the bucket:


Here's what the sweater looked like when it came out of the bucket, six hours later (the box said only leave it in for two):


And here's what the brick, once bright red, looked like after coming out of the bucket:


Mothers are always right.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Maybe check back at Target and see if they carry it in silver? At Target prices...

Moms are always right.

Jess said...

At least the sweater didn't get ruined! I was expecting the after picture to be streaked with silver lol.

ndc1520 said...

at least your brick is clean now.