Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Year of More

I realized I started this post after the New Year holiday, and never finished or published it...

I read several blogs on a regular basis. Some are personal - close friends, past fellow employees - professional - Post's The Trail, ABC's Political Radar, Politico's... well pretty much Politico's entire site, Maureen Dowd, yet another thing Erin turned me on to, or just something for fun, PostSecret, Stuff White People Like... and when December 2008 became January 2009, most of them had some sort of reflection of the past and motivation for the future.

I'm chiming in to say that what 2009 means to me is a year of 'more.' We're expected to do, produce, live, thrive and continue on more - with less.

At work, we had one of the best quarters in my division's existance, yet they want us to increase our page views. At home, my gas bill continues to cost more. More people are being laid off, and more of us are working through our vacation days for more money.

We're told to exercise more, diet more, but McDonalds had one of their best years ever in America because more people are turning to quick, cheap, unhealthy meals or have just given up.

'Feed me, Seymour' says the world, so we give more, without taking more, but we want more and are left with less.

A pessimistic view for the future, perhaps, but the future for me has become a 24- hour foresight with going to sleep each night counting my blessings that I have a job to go to tomorrow, I could pay the rent if I had to tomorrow, I could buy a hot meal tomorrow, I have a warm and safe place to sleep tomorrow...

To be safe, 2009 will be lived by the day every day for me, one more day at a time.

No comments: