Monday, February 2, 2009

Duckpin Bowling

Surprise! There are fun things to do in College Park after you've graduated from Maryland and sworn it off forever (as I have). Who knew?


UMD has its own bowling alley on campus so while I was in school there, I never ventured off for other lanes. I had driven past the AMF College Park Lanes bowling alley thousands of times but since it looks like a rundown warehouse on the outside, I never gave it much attention.

Until we decided to go bowling on Saturday night.

For lack of better things to do, Tad pushed me to try the bowling alley in College Park, just to see what it was all about. Scowling and rolling my eyes the whole way, I was pleasantly surprised to find that - despite it's outward appearance - the College Park lanes were pretty nice inside: Full cafe, bar, 30+ lanes... and duckpin bowling. Exclusively.

This was your grandmother's bowling alley.

You kept score yourself on a paper scoresheet. You had to manually push a button when you needed the mechanical arm to clear away the deadwood and another to reset the 10 pins for the next player - things I don't remember ever doing in a bowling alley. It was different and fun.

After a couple of frames, I noticed right away I liked duckpin bowling better than regular bowling because the bowling balls are much smaller than regular ones, so my hand and arm didn't tire as quickly. Which was nice since Tad, Brandon and I signed up for EXTREME DUCKPIN BOWLING (channeling monster truck announcer voice) - From 9 p.m. to midnight, $15 got you all-you-can-bowl under some weak black lights and 1970's Motown jams. Woot!

To quote Tad, "It's like glorified Skee-Ball"

I started strong with two strikes and a spare all in a row during the first game, but it was all downhill from there. The boys did fairly well, but Brandon beat us all in the end and I was forced to admit that I actually had fun again in College Park.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

It was pretty clutch!

Jess said...

Haha I went bowling this weekend too...$20 for unlimited bowling 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Good looooord my arm was killing me by the end lol!

Glad you had fun!