Monday, March 9, 2009

You shouldn't need a vacation to plan a vacation...


Hot white sand barely moves as the blue-green rippled waves gently tug at it on the shoreline. The tropical breeze smells like lime and coconut as it ever-so-slightly rocks the hammock I'm laying in and the sound of palm leaves slapping together lulls me to sleep...

Oh dear, excuse me. I was staring at the Fiji beach scene poster I have hanging in my cubicle and I must have drifted off. My work email binged, my coworker's cell phone went off again and I snapped back. Sigh. I want a warm beach vacation. Badly. Right now.

The warm weather this weekend was a wonderful break from the chill and ice. I spent most of Saturday on a long (seven mile!) walk with my good friend Ruth, where we walked from Bethesda to the National Zoo, then walked around the zoo. Great company. Great conversation. So many strollers. Still, it wasn't the beach.



I've been envisioned a weekend getaway to South Beach where I could be warm, tan, drink margaritas, RELAX... the usual tropical break... for weeks now. I've combed through every cheap hotel, flight website known to man night after night and lingered over the swimsuit explosion at Target. Then, I got all excited because Tad sent me an article about cruise lines slashing prices so low that a four-day cruise was selling for less than the amount of two weeks worth of groceries. Problem: Money. Timing. And no one to go with because of money and timing.

I just have this urge to get away from it all... for just a little bit. To be fair, it wasn't smart of me to try to make something happen a.) on such short notice, b.) during the peak of college spring break season when prices are jacked up, c.) when I'm still trying to save up to visit Erin and Melissa in South Korea in May. All of the people I asked to be travel companions agree.

Perhaps I thought too large too quickly. Although it's disappointing and it's not beach weather, maybe I can still make a weekend getaway road trip next weekend or the weekend after... some place we could drive too - cuts air fare out and anything within 100 miles of D.C. is going to hella cheap compared to Miami.

If all else fails and the weather corporates again in the coming weekends, maybe I'll say to hell with it and have a luau party at my place. We'll grill up some jerk chicken and have Jose Cuervo and lime do the twist in a blender. Maybe get some bags of sand to dump in the side yard.

Now where can I rent a bunch of tanning lamps on the cheap - or even better, will tanning bulbs work in a floor lamp without burning my house to the ground. Hmm...

1 comment:

Brandon said...

You could take a collapsible hammock down to Hoopers Island and find a nice little beach area and pretend that you are in the Caribbean.