Monday, April 13, 2009

I love parents vs. technology stories

We gave my mom an iPod Shuffle for Easter because she started going to a gym regularly and complained about the "bee-bop" music they played too loudly. She was confused when she opened the box, but then ecstatic when I explained to her what it was for.

Here's a sampling of some of the phrases she used over and over as I set it up for her...

"That's really COOL!"

"That is wwwiiiilllldddd" (I kid you not, see where I get it from?)

"So the iPod talks to the computer and the computer talks to the iPod? WHOA!!!"

"So I can download songs and charge the iPod at the same time? That's freaky!"

"It's so tiny how can it do all that? That's freaky."

"You don't understand, when I was your age computers used 500 punch cards to do one task."

"So if I don't like a song I can just delete it? That's wild. Wow."

"I have all these great songs on record, you should get a record player so you can make discs and then we'll put the discs on this tiny thing."

Now my mom no longer has to listen to Britney's "If You Seek Amy" or Flo Rida's "Right Round" while on the tredmill but instead she can happily "bee-bop" to Billy Joel's "Piano Man," Yes' "I've Seen All Good People," Jude Cole's "Start The Car" and six Fleetwood Mac and Hall and Oates albums. It's a step and I feel proud that she got over her fear of new technology. She wasn't too keen on my GPS, "how can that thing possibly know where you are at all times? I don't buy it."

In other news, apartment hunting over the weekend was successful in that we found a place the three of us agreed on. Now, it's just a matter of what type of unit, what budget we can renegotiate and signing the paperwork. I'll keep you posted :)

3 comments:

Brittany Borghi said...

Personal Fave:

"I have all these great songs on record, you should get a record player so you can make discs and then we'll put the discs on this tiny thing."

Definitely made me laugh!

NoRhythmWhiteGuy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NoRhythmWhiteGuy said...

"You don't understand, when I was your age computers used 500 punch cards to do one task."

way to expose your mom's age.