Monday, May 18, 2009

Feeling HOT


Your skin has more the four million pores. A section of skin the size of a quarter has more that 600 sweat glands. I know what it feels like to have every single pore and every single sweat gland activated.

Sounds gross? Sorry. It was just hot.

Bikram yoga, or "hot yoga," is when you do yoga stretches in a room heated to 105 degrees. For those of you who read my blog, you already know my first Bikram yoga class - first yoga class ever, actually - was on Saturday morning.

Photo is not me nor can I do that.

I did not die as previously expected, but I was more sweaty than I've ever been in my life. I looked like I had been caught in a rain storm, but I left the class feeling very light, refreshed and comfortably exhausted. Understandable when I've been told you burn more than 800 calories in one class.

I did have to lie down for the last 15 minutes of the class because I drank to much water but didn't eat enough so I felt sloshed. However, making it through 75 minutes out of a 90 minute class without leaving the room or passing out on my first try made me pretty pleased with myself. My only complaint is that afterwards I felt like I couldn't quench my thirst or satisfy my hunger all day, no matter how many bottles of water and bowls of pasta I consumed when I got home.

Most importantly - my back felt better, and continues to feel better today. I'm still aware of the injured spot on my trapezius muscle when I move around, but instead of feeling like someone is continually punching the wind out of me, it just feels mildly sore. Trust me, it's a huge improvement!

I've signed up for another week's worth of classes. I may have found a new hook! Plus, bonus is it's MUCH cheaper than seeing the chiropractor.

If you decide to try something like this, bring friends along. It was so helpful for me to have my coworkers Kasey and Betty there because it made me more comfortable and relaxed, especially since it was Kasey's first time too, and Betty had done Bikram before so I could watch her if I needed help. The best of both worlds.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Which yoga studio did you go to? And how much does it cost? I'm interested in checking it out and would love a recommendation.

Erin said...

How cool -- I want to try when I get home!