Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Will passing out really help my back feel better?

In the never ending quest to find relief for what has become a chronic back pain problem - massage, acupuncture, chiropractor are what have failed for me so far - I'm attempting a "sure-fire cure" on Saturday morning that has me absolutely terrified.

Bikram yoga is not your mother's "bend over and hold this dog position for a while" yoga. It's the "hot one," as people say, where you're doing specific, easy yoga stretches in a room heated to 105 degrees. Some people say the heat allows your muscles to be more flexible so you can dig deeper into the stretches. Others say it'll make you throw up.

It's common practice with Bikram that as a beginner, your goal for the first class is to just get through the class, even if it means just lying down and doing nothing.

Either way, my friend and coworker Betty recommended it to me as a fellow athlete and someone who used to suffer from chronic back pain as well. She claims it was the only thing that worked for her after years of seeing chiros and physical therapists. As an active 22 year-old who should not have the trapezius muscle pain of an 80 year-old humpback, I'm up for anything, because, frankly, I want to be active and I hate being in pain.

Err... at least I was up for anything until my other friend and coworker Kasey, who is accompanying me on Saturday, sent me this as a tease...


And now we're both quite scared. Especially since I've never done yoga before.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Goood luck with the Bikram! You'll have to let me know how it goes!

I also just happened to read this review of a class this morning and thought of you immediately. Here's the link if you're interested: http://fitbottomedgirls.blogspot.com/2009/05/feel-heat.html

ndc1520 said...

You have no idea how many times I said "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID" when reading this blog posting.