Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Piece of Home

Summer is when I miss home the most.

This powerful audio slide show by the New York Times is only two minutes long, but in those two minutes, I was taken back to those lazy summer days when I would ride my bike down to Blackwater or when I went kayaking down near those lower Eastern Shore islands, or would drive 45 minutes down back county roads just to get to a friend's house.

Where I grew up in Cambridge isn't this remote -- we do have a Wal*Mart after all -- but most of Dorchester County is like this, and once you turn right off Route 50 East and go past the Cambridge city limits, most of what you see are plowed farm land, open fields, woods and water. It's a whole different world than what the rest of Maryland off the Shore thinks of when they think of the Blue Crab State, but it's this way of life that earned the state its name.

Listen here.


The other thing that struck me about this NYTimes piece is this is the kind of journalism I've always wanted to do - short, multimedia features with gorgeous photos (or video), with sound and narration. Perhaps I'll get there some day.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I want to see both Cambridge and even moreso, the really rural part. And eat yummy seafood and fresh produce and whatever else you have on the shore? woooot.

Brandon said...

Lauren,

Thank you for that clip. It's very bittersweet for me. Our home is changing; I just feel fortunate that I saw the tail end of something special.

Lauren Effron said...

I know exactly what you mean, Brandon. I really envy all the time Tad gets to spend at home this summer while I'm stuck inside at work! Especially when it's been so nice out!

Erin - absolutely! As soon as you come back to this country haha.