Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Scene In: DC

Washington Post is doing an on-going project this summer about people seen around D.C. in various fashion trends and styles. I was so mesmerized when I watched this that I watched all three episodes in a row. Not just as someone who is obsessed with how I'm percieved by others in manner and dress, but also just the funky, artistic way the videos are put together.

It just makes people and their clothes entertaining, with using D.C. sidewalks and Capitol Hill's marble halls as runways. Plus most of what these people are wearing are so far out of no defined field that you can't help but pay attention to their explanations of how they got there.

WATCH THEM HERE


Like the girl at Duke Ellington, I too will pour over magazines like InStyle and Vogue for new fashion ideas I can recreate from what already exists in my closet. Mainly because finding something that expresses me and how I want to look on a day-to-day basis can be difficult -- and not because I'm dying to be on the cutting edge of fashion.

Most of my clothes are either college (even high school) leftovers or hand-me-downs from mom. I'm lucky that my mother has a beautiful taste in clothes... for someone her own age. I'm not 18 and I'm not 40-something. I'm just a 20 something trying to meet them in the middle, not spend uber amounts of money and magically come up with some sort of style of my own: mixture of artsy, girl-next-door, a little funk, preppy while being suitable for working in a corporate office. I suppose.

Interesting to me that several women in the videos said they get their sense of style from their moms, even grandmothers. No arguing it's usually a good place to start.

I'm not a vintage shopper -- I don't frequent thrift stores, despite all the bargains I'm certainly missing out on. I'm not a label whore -- I own one pair of Manolo Blahniks that were a hand-me-down and other than that I shop everywhere from Nordstorms and J. Crew to PayLess and Target. Online shopping terrifies me -- especially eBay because who knows what you'll really end up with. I don't shop till I drop -- if I do go shopping, it's almost always with a goal in mind i.e. I need to replace my tennis shoes.

I constantly people watch for new ideas, and will purposefully look for girls in magazines who look like me so I know what coloring and lines the professionals think I would look good in. That's the purpose of fashion, right?

Yes, it can be exhausting. I blame my obsession on my mother who always told me to look presentable at all times, because who knows when you'll run into that ex-boyfriend or photographer on the street. There are times when I want to just throw away everything in my closet and start from scratch, but then I tell my clothes, "I'm so sorry I didn't mean it."

Through watching these videos, it was comforting to see such a wide spectrum of people from different extremes -- either having their fashion sense of self so together their style doesn't fall into any category to people like me who simply just try to look nice every day (The judge in Dupont Circle is my favorite). All in my backyard. I think that's why I was so tuned in.

And I may have snagged a few fashion ideas along the way too :)

1 comment:

Jess said...

Recently I've become super obsessed with What Not To Wear pretty much for the same reason