Monday, August 3, 2009

SHARK WEEK!!!

All this week! Oh the shark insanity! And we're definitely ready to go at work...


I couldn't help but shamelessly self-promote :)

This year, more than ever, I've had people tell me they're obsessed with Shark Week and ask me when Discovery is turning the building into a giant shark again. Unfortunately, that shark is expensive so we traded it in for a 4x5 foot banner that says SHARK WEEK, but I've become curious with what people's fascination with Shark Week is.

Don't get me wrong, Shark Week lovers are good for business (hehe) but what makes people go crazy for it? Is it the idea that there's a monster lurking in the deep, waiting to fest on our juicy flesh that excites us, like leftover childhood boogieman fears? Or are they just incredible fish that we can't figure out? A puzzle to solve, perhaps, that draws in our need to watch.

For me, it's both. The sign in the elevator at work that says "This elevator can hold about 12 people. So can a great white," gave me chills the first time I read it, but I'm also so intrigued. So little is known about these creatures who have a bad rep as vicious man-eaters that there still remains so much to figure out about them. And their personalities and patterns are so different than other species of animals.

Did you know that pretty much all of the whale sharks in the world -- from Canada to Australia -- are all from one family? Their genes are almost identical.

One of great things about Discovery is that I do feel we try to satisfy both the adrenaline junkies and the scientifically curious, especially with Shark Week. It's a rare chance when both audiences are fused into one.

If you're celebrating shark week in a crazy, fun way, let me know! I'm looking for pictures, video and stories of people who are die-hard fans.

And in other news... waste sometime at work with this: I'm a hammerhead shark, what kind of shark are you? Test yourself here.

6 comments:

Tad said...

hammerhead sharks always were my favorite

Emily said...

I'm a hammerhead, too!

Jess said...

I got the great white....stupidest of all sharks...awesome haha! P.S. Emily is giving me one of the Discovery promo t-shirts because I have such an unhealthy obsession with Shark Week.

I think people's obsession is because Shark Week is the only time we really get to get up close and personal with them without fearing for our lives.

Sam Laz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren Effron said...

!!!! Jess - Is it one of the Chum shirts?! Those are supposed to "rare" haha. I wasn't even allowed to snag an extra one for Tad.

Ben Meyerson said...

Mainly, I just love that line from 30 Rock: "Live every week like it's Shark Week."