Thursday, August 13, 2009

Under where?!?!

I seem to be on a fashion critic kick lately...

In order to buy decent, everyday underwear, you either need to be a super sexually-flirtatious teenager or a conservative librarian pushing 50. Or at least this is the case with Victoria Secret.

I went to VS the other day to replace my underwear -- nothing fancy, just the usual, routine, everyday, comfortable panties. I was drawn in by the 5 pairs for $25 deal, only to be very disappointed in the selection and a little stressed out.

Being the 20 something young professional that I am, I'm not interested in underwear that has bubble gum or that stupid dog on it and says "LOVE PINK, LOVE PINK, LOVE PINK" or "Kiss me, I'm a Bitch" on the butt in shiny silver. Nor do I want a scrap of lace 1 sq. in x1 sq. in. or boy-like briefs in high-waisted pastel floral patterns. Why can't I just get a regular low-rise pair of purple cotton "bikinis" or maybe something with stripes -- something NORMAL.



I could tell I wasn't the only one who felt this way because two women scanning the merchandise near me -- one looked like your stereotypical soccer mom in her baggy sweats and the other looked like she was a young professional in her late 20s/early 30s -- also picked up pair after pair only to say "ugh" or "bleck" and put them back. The young professional walked out. I am justified.

After about 20 minutes of rummaging through those drawers, I ended up just grabbing without looking and I ended up with let's just say some okay and some interesting choices. I don't think I'm being too conservative or uptight here. I just want to know where have all the good underwear gone?

3 comments:

Jess said...

Haha I feel the same way about VS lately. Just want some normal stuff for that doesn't scream teenage or sexy slave lol.

Emily said...

Absolutely. I had a coupon for a free pair of panties there, and couldn't find anything I liked (from the Pink line) so I gave the coupon to a teenager. I mean, seriously. I recommend Target. They have some cute, reasonably priced and word-free undergarments.

Lauren Effron said...

Hahaha I love how you gave the coupon to a teenager. Target = good to know. I'll remember that for next time.