Sunday, October 4, 2009

Lazy Sundays

I am loving this lazy Sunday today.

This is not to be confused with the statement, "I love lazy Sundays" because this would imply that I love all lazy Sundays and that is certainly not true. Sometimes I get mad at myself for spending an entire Sunday, where I don't have to be sitting in the office, sitting in my apartment. Sometimes I wish I lived in Dupont or Georgetown so DC would be just outside my door and I wouldn't have to make the effort to get on the Metro (The DC border that kicks off the Northeast quadrant is one block away from my apartment, I 'can see it from my house' er, balcony). In both cases -- especially when it's a gorgeous, 70-something degree day.

Today though, I don't mind so much, even though it is Sunday, and it is a gorgeous, 70-something degree day, and I'm currently sitting in my apartment. Sometimes, we need these days. I certainly do after a week like I've had at work and a week I could possibly have, starting tomorrow.

That's not to say I've been lazy today. For those of you who know me well, know that I cannot sit still. That I have to be constantly doing something productive. I am ADD for productivity. This comes in quite handy when I have nothing planned for a lazy Sunday because then that lazy Sunday turns into productive Sunday: usually cleaning, reading, cooking and baking. I know, I know. Not the incredibly fabulous life you envisioned for me, right?

Sometimes I imagine myself using my lazy Sunday time to do something super creative, like paint or draw something to finally fill that large white space on my living room wall. Or maybe create a tile mosaic on this boring, faux-wooden table that sits in front of the large white space on my living room wall. I have yet to break out the paint brush or the putty, but I did vacuum the apartment, take out the trash and clean the bathroom -- tub and all -- so far today.

Sundays are usually big cooking days for me and sometimes Tad too. Our upbringings were way different but the one thing we share is our mothers usually made big, special dinners on Sundays. Sometimes, like tonight, we make plans to go to our local Whole Foods to buy fresh ingredients -- usually just for the fish -- for a nice, Sunday dinner later. Sometimes, Sundays are big breakfast days for us too. I made omelets stuffed with turkey, cheese, spinach, tomato, onion and herbs this morning. All we need is the Sunday Times and for Tad to like coffee, and we would be officially retired people.

Baking too, takes up another piece of a typical lazy Sunday for me -- I already have plans to make banana pudding, I mean, come on, I have to do something with these going-bad bananas.

And reading. I've rediscovered my love for it after getting my degree and no longer having to read for anyone but myself anymore. I do have a confession to make. I book-cheated on Catch-22 and then dumped him all together to read The Lost Symbol (I had to know what all the hype was about) and then a friend recently gave me Eat, Pray, Love (I know, I'm way behind on the curve with that one, but I can understand why it's so popular. More on that in a future post), and I'm 20 pages away from finishing that, which I will do today. Thing is, I don't plan on ever going back to Catch-22. I got to page 68, I learned what the meaning of Catch-22 was, didn't I get out of it all that I came to get out of it? Plus, it just bores me. Sorry people who decide when a book is a "classic must-read for all generations."

The next few Sundays, I'm packed with plans and stuff to do so I've decided to let myself have this one without remorse and without going to DC or really going much of anywhere. Although, I may have to go play tennis later... just to get out of the apartment, you know.

No comments: