Monday, October 19, 2009

Swan Pond

Image courtesy of Barbourville, Ky Chamber of Commerce

I miss our place in Kentucky more than ever this time of year, when the leaves are at their peak yellows, oranges and reds. The air is crisp and cold. More importantly, the bugs are gone.

My family owns a plot of land in the mountains of eastern Kentucky and I have many childhood memories of visiting our cabin our there.

It's where I learned to fish, spent hours hiking, searching for arrowheads, discovering Civil War cemeteries and old coal mines, and hearing stories over orange juice cake and coffee made by Ms. Belva.

I did take this one last year though.

Swan Pond is a place you would think was a writer's imaginary mountain getaway, or a painter's vision because it's certainly a place to relax and clear your head. So remote, Google Earth couldn't find it until this year. The cabin, with it's real wooden log walls and wrap-around porch, is so cozy and overlooks a large pond that sits at the bottom of sweeping Applicachian mountains.

It's also one of those places that I didn't appreciate enough as a kid when we went twice a year or so, but I certainly long to get away to there now.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Stalker Dave is jealous of Swan Pond... and if those are pics you took, I likes them lots.

Erin said...

Stunning shots! <3