Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Word Junkie, NOT Math Junkie

Currently reading (with 20 pages to go):
Love in a Dry Season, by Shelby Foote. A story about a twisted love triangle between some very miserable Mississippi families set around the time of the Civil War. Thank you, Dad.

Just ordered:
The Frittata Affair: Adventures in Four-Star Dining at Home, by Judy Pochini, a food writer who married a four star hotel restaurant chef and spins tales of how they turned four star quality meals into easy, healthy dinners for friends at home. Thank you, Mom. This one is on it's way to you soon!

The Art of Eating, by M.F.K. Fisher. A collection of five of her most popular essays. Erin wrote an incredible blog post about it today and now I'm completely intrigued -- hook, line and sinker. Thank you, Erin.

Game Change, by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin. I know. I know. I should be so ashamed. But I have friends who are completely gushing over it and others who are wrapping their scarfs around the outside cover while they read it on the metro, as if it's actually something embarrassing like Murder in the Hamptons. My curiosity can't hold out any longer.

My dad also got me Anna Karenina for Christmas, but that almost 1,000 page Russian novel intimidates me.

Oh yes regarding the math... God, I hate math. I really do. I appreciate that it exists. I'm in awe of people who can convert Fahrenheit to Celsius in their heads for fun (anyone get the West Wing reference there?), but it's not for me. Don't ask me to calculate the tip at the end of dinner. I'll choose the New York Times Sunday edition crossword over Monday's Sudoku any day, and that's not even real math! Not really.

Turns out this is one of those instances when I can blame someone else for this anxiety, *cough* Ms. Doggett, you second grade witch, *cough*. I LOVED this article, it made me feel so much better.

2 comments:

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) said...

Wow, sounds like you have some FABULOUS books on the way. I might end up ordering Game Change too -- have an Amazon gift card -- but The Art of Eating is one that you'll enjoy for years. A good coffee table book to enjoy a few stories at a time.

caboose said...

"1,000 pages intimidates me..." - I believe you read "Gone With The Wind", so stop whining and enjoy this Russian equivalent!