Sunday, February 21, 2010

Crafty

This is just one thing that can happen when I find myself with an hour to kill before I have to get ready to go out. I get crafty.



Yes. I painted a flower pot. It's for a fern plant thing from IKEA that not only has survived these past few months, but has separated and grown into two fern monsters. I even took the time to cut up a sponage to make sure the pretty diamond shapes were even, picked out some pretty colors and painted a pretty flower pot. On a Saturday evening. All while half dressed to go out to a bar.

Eat your heart out Home & Garden Network.

The bar we went to was Buffalo Billards in Dupont for Sam's "Gone Away" party (she left D.C. a few months ago in a rush and this was her first weekend back). And oh did we ever have a fabulous time! The dj (and other bar patrons surrounding the dance floor) either loved our enthusiasm or were overjoyed to see us leave, and that's all I have to say about that.

I'll post photos once I get them. Or maybe not...

I was shocked at how HUGE the place was! Billards, darts, dance floor all nicely tucked away in a basement bar that looked the size of a D.C. city block. Drinks were a little pricy (a Yaungling draft cost the same as a Jack&Ginger that comes in a 4 oz. glass? Come on). It was also great that the flat screen TVs covering the walls had the Olympics on because it gave everyone in our mixed crew something to talk about, but it was a bit of a buzz kill when you're trying to shake your groove thing to Britney and someone wipes out on a bobsled right behind you.

The best part of the night was that even though Sam, Amy, Jess and a few others in our group last night hadn't seen each other in weeks... even months... it was like we picked up right where we left off. Carrying on without missing a beat. That's when you know you're in good company.

4 comments:

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said...

Great flower pot! I've been known to get crafty on a whim. Yours looks pretty damn good though!
And there's something so great about how you can just pick right up where you left off with close friends. That feeling is like nothing else. Enjoy your Monday!

Sam Laz said...

You're amazing!! So much fun Saturday night!! MWA!

Lauren Effron said...

Thanks Andrea! I honestly don't know where it came from. I just had some paints sitting in a drawer and thought "this terra cotta pot looks gross, I know what I'll do!" And here we are.

Sam -- Miss you already! Brooklyn in a month! It's happening!

Emily said...

Saturday was SO fun! But you're right, it was awkward for the dance floor to be right in front of the giant TV screen...I thought everyone was staring at us and how awesome we were, when in fact they were just watching the bobsled race...