Tuesday, February 2, 2010

'I've always depended on the kindness of strangers...'

While sitting at a BoneFish Restaurant in Frederick, Md., the kindest thing happened to us.

Tad, Stu and I were coming back from our snowboarding/skiing trip at Liberty -- Facebook friends, pics are posted -- when we stopped at BoneFish for dinner.

Sitting at the full service bar, we were in heaven with our fish tacos, shrimp fetachini and all the warm bread the bartender could bring us, fully entertained by the bartender's multitasking ability to flip off a beer top with a martini shaker while pouring all three of us water.

As we were finishing up, commenting on how close Maryland was to beating Clemson, an older gentleman sitting with his wife three seats away asked, "oh are you all Maryland fans?"

Tad proudly puffed out his chest to show his MARYLAND TERRAPINS sweatshirt. "Yeah, we all graduated from there."

"Go Terps!" the guy said. "Go Terps!" we replied.

We asked for the check and as soon as the bartender brought it over and we were fishing out our money, he came back, snatched away the receipt, threw in the trash and gave us the thumbs up sign.

"Uhh... whoa, what? What just happened?"

Bartender: "Don't worry about it. It's been taken care of."

He had to nod his head at least four times towards the older couple for us to get what had just happened. Somehow, in the span of minutes, maybe even seconds, the older couple had picked up our tab, just because we were Terps. Stu, Tad and I spent most of the car ride home that night saying things like, "I was so blown away by that!," "That has never happened to me before!," "Who does that anymore? Not many."

I've heard other people say to me when I've asked for advice or favors and then try to thank them, "hey, someone helped me out along the way once too. It's nice to be able to return the favor."

That was one incredible favor that'll stick with me for a long time, and I can't wait for the opportunity to return it.

3 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) said...

I'm absolutely blown away by this story. Maybe the world isn't down the tubes quite as quickly as we think...

chesapeake bay fishing said...

Wow! Just imagine what the world would be like if most people were like that....