Thursday, March 18, 2010

Luck o' the Irish

I had more than one person tell me I was so noble for coming back to work from my mini-vacation on St. Patrick's Day. But that didn't stop Tad and I from celebrating.

After spending a long weekend in Brooklyn for my brother's birthday (post about that to come later), Tad and I could have easily stayed at home last night and not regretted it. However, it wasn't just any Wednesday, it was St. Patrick's Day so we felt we should toast our heritages at least once.

Heading down to our neighborhood Irish pub house, we were surprised to find a long line out the door at 7:30 p.m., even more surprised at home many couples with young children were ahead of us.
Inside, we easily weaseled our way to seats at the bar, despite the crowds and ordered up some green beers -- which turned out to be Miller Lite with green food coloring, what a gyp, but at least we knew what to expect.

And hey, it was green :)

It's funny when the green beer and Irish car bombs are flowing and the excellent live music is playing the sort of fellow bar patrons you end up talking to. We talked to two guys from Ireland, one who said he moved to the U.S. when he was 6 months old, and one who moved here four years ago from Dublin for a contractor gig at the Pentagon. We even got into a light-hearted argument with a guy wearing a green Boston Red Sox shirt over whether or not the Yankees sucked more.

All in good drinking...


The one that made the most impression on me was the wounded veteran sitting at the bar next to us. He could have been older than 30.

As we're waiting for our second round and the live band in the corner started up again with The Eagles' "Take It Easy," I looked over and noticed the guy sitting next to me had hearing aids. Then I saw him hand his army ID to the bartender. After talking to him a little, turns out he lost his ability to hear in one ear while serving in Afghanistan and then lost hearing in the other ear while serving in Iraq. He just got out of Walter Reed this week fitted with the hearing aids and he told us it was the first time he had been able to hear his own voice in months. I don't remember how many rounds we end us buying for him, but I definitely know we thanked him for serving many times over.

1 comment:

caboose said...

God Bless America - and your kindness.