Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Soup's On

I didn't mean to turn this into a food blog, but alas this is where the typing has taken me.

I've been on a real soup kick this winter season, making soup that is. Maybe it's the harsh winter we've had or my very strange way of needing to be busy, but soup has become a staple on my dinner table almost every other week. Onion soup, potato and leak soup, zucchini and smoked Gouda soup (oh yeah, so incredibly divine), the ever classic beef stew... just something about eating soup not from a can that's so comforting.

I think it's also the feeling of accomplishment in trying something new, combined with making food with the purpose if sharing that has appealed to me. I had an acupuncturist tell me once that she could tell from the way my kidneys felt that I liked to feed and care for people. Come to think of it, that sort of weirded me out.

Anyway.

Thanks to my Soup Bible (gift from mom), my warm liquid food cravings have been satisfied. No really, that's what it's called...
There's one soup I've been stuck on for a few rounds because it's tasty and so, so good for you (lots of vitamins!). It's is a roasted red bell pepper soup, and while it looks complicated, it's very easy to make.

First, cut the red peppers in half and clean them of seeds, stem and any other insides (you can also throw in yellow or orange bell peppers with this, it'll alter the sweetness a bit. I use only red because they have the most vitamins out of all the bell peppers).Place on a cookie sheet on some foil (peppers will ooze a little so this gives you easy clean up) and stick under the brolier on high. The time varies based on how new your oven is, but for my oven it took about 15 minutes. Just keep an eye on them until the skin looks like this...When they're black, stick them in a food storage bag lying side-by-side, seal the bag, and let them cool. The moisture building up in the bag will make the skin peal easier. Doing this makes the peppers tastes more sweet and less bitter.While they cool, chop a small yellow onion, stick it in a sauce pan covered in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and leave it there for about 5 minutes then take off the heat (this differs from the book. I find if you leave it on the burner, the onions can burn).When the peppers have cooled, take out of the bag and peel off as much of the skin as you can. Doesn't have to be perfect, but the more you can peel off, the more velvetly the soup will taste. At least get all the burnt bits off.Chop the peppers, add to the onion, cover with more veggie stock. Bring to a boil and let sit for 5 minutes.Now the fun part, using a food processor or a blender, blend everying in the pot. I usually leave mine a little chunky. Add in herbs, whatever you want. I add Italian seasoning, bascially.
When blended, pour in bowls and serve with a dolup of sour cream. The book recommends plain yogurt, but I'm not a fan. Delicious!

6 comments:

Jess said...

Ummm that sounds amazingly delicious.

caboose said...

Can I come for dinner?

Melissa said...

Eff, that looks AMAZING...and easy to do! Will try this weekend...

daniel said...

If I were to wager a guess at why, I’d say that users don’t “browse” forms. The interaction style users engage in with forms is different, and requires its own study and design best practices. This is a very interesting post, and the comments are also fantastic to read. I’ll have poses to have a little re-think about my own contact form on our new website, as this some interesting questions!
online education

playfood said...

Yum. I have been roasting peppers like crazy these days. I am totally hooked on the flavor of a roasted pepper. I think they add great flavor to just about everything. Great soup. :)

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) said...

I'm so behind on reading your blog but

- Second Story Books = <3 Let's go back soon, please!
- That soup looks incredible. Next fall/winter, let's have a soup potluck.
- Cute haircut!

Umm... oh, and just in general, you're fabulous.