Monday, April 26, 2010

Mulberry Street, suddenly I paint and "Boobquake"

When I was a kid, my dad's favorite book to read to me was "And To Think that I Saw It on Mulberry Street" by Dr. Seuss. I think about that book sometimes as I'm on my way to work because my commute doesn't change, and for the most part, my surroundings don't either. So when I see something out of the ordinary, it really jumps out at me. Like this...

Yes, that's a Giant Foods shopping cart chained up to a bike rack with what appears to be a pretty decent bike lock.

I've seen it chained up like this about three or four times now, but sometimes it's not there, which tells me someone is not just being possessive, but actually gets some use out of it. The Giant is a good five blocks or so away.

In other news, I was really worn out from the work week by the time this weekend rolled around, and the rainy weather didn't help to make me feel like going out either, so I took it easy. Then I got bored, so this happened:

I had some art supplies hanging around so I painted. I haven't painted anything in years, and this took me about three hours. It's a tree branch of cherry blossoms. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet (give it away or hang it up), but I'm not going to lie, I impressed myself a little with this project.

And finally, "boobquake," by the Washington Post. I loved this story and I hope someone includes this in his clip packet. Although clever, I thought the "scantily clad" part was pretty conservative. Probably a good thing...


Caption: "Women showing cleavage gathered in Dupont Circle, D.C. to participate in "Boobquake," a reaction to a Shiite cleric's claim that, 'Women who do not dress modestly . . . lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which increases earthquakes.' (Anna Uhls/The Washington Post)"

1 comment:

san ling said...

Nice...visit me at johorkia.blogspot.com...