Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sangria Cravings

I've been on a sangria kick lately, not necessarily a bad thing I suppose. I think it's rooted in my deep longing for summer, plus, I have to agree with Erin. All the fruit makes this a healthy drink, no? Judging from the past few batches I've made, I think I've come up with the perfect recipe.

I tried this one out on some friends at two separate dinner parties I hosted (I felt like a needed an excuse to make a huge punch bowl full of wine drink) -- Erin blogged about my last one on her food/travel blog -- and this latest batch got some great reviews (I already sent to this Erin for her blog -- she has a much bigger following than I do -- but I thought I'd share my thoughts here too anyway).



This recipe is SUPER easy because all you're doing is chopping up fruit. I came up with this after reading, no lie, SIX different sangria recipes. It's not all that original except for the Sprite and the pineapple chunks. Most recipes call for club soda instead of Sprite but I think this adds much more flavor. The pineapple chunks soaked in the wine are truly the best fruit to munch on once you've emptied your glass ;)

Lauren's Sangria. Serves about 4-6 people (depending on how big your glasses are. We used solo cups like classy people).

1 bottle of Mirassou Cabernet Sauvignon (according to an article I read about making sangria, this is the best cheap red wine brand (around $10 at most liquor stores) and type for the drink. It's tart and fruity, but lighter than a Merlot).
1 12 oz can of Sprite
1 grapefruit
1 peach
1 pear
1 lemon
1 lime
1 and 1/2 cups of pineapple chunks

Chop up the fruit. The citrus should be sliced horizontally for presentation (they will float!) and then the rest of fruit should be cut into bite-sized chunks. Add your wine. Let soak for no more than 2 hours before serving (I usually do 1 hour). Then, right before your guests come, add the Sprite. DO NOT add the Sprite before hand or it will go flat before you serve it (I found this out the first time around). Stir and enjoy!

The best part is if you need to make more, just reuse the fruit and add another bottle of wine and another can of Sprite.

No comments: